Monday, April 14, 2014

Recruiting souls

No one chooses to be born, as other means of creating people come into being it will likely still be the case that no one chooses to be made.  One can choose to be cloned, but the clone has no choice in the matter.

But one wonders if such things could happen.

One imagines, in some future where we've found a way to avoid creating people without getting their consent, someone standing in a spiritual plane of existence with a clipboard in hand, sighing at how behind ze is.

"I've got a body on earth, a perfectly good healthy body, can I--"
Soul 1, "No."
"Ok, you, you there, can I interest you in a human body on earth?"
Soul 2, "Nope."
"Hey, souly soul-looking person near the back, want a body?  Good health, rich family--"
Soul 3, "No!"

"COME ON PEOPLE!  I've got access to a human body on earth and it's yours for the taking, doesn't anybody here want it."

Soul who is just passing by, "Earth, what a shithole."

"Damn it, I'm never going to meet my quota."

-

Or something like that.

5 comments:

  1. Let me keep full recall of my time in the spiritual realm* and return there when the body wears out and I'll consider it. Depends on the model.

    That's assuming you can provide proper credentials. You are a reputable body dealer, aren't you? I'm willing to forgive minor screw-ups, like the time they sold me a body guaranteed facial-hair-free and it developed half a dozen chin hairs in late adolescence, but nothing major. (And you'd better not try to pass minor issues off with "well, it didn't have any facial hair when you bought it" or some bullshit excuse like that.)

    *I am not getting burned on that again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this comment and this post!

    I thought there were other scenarios for soul recruitment, but I'm having trouble recalling. Maybe just the very dedicated, enlightened souls who were willing to bring joy and hope to desperate people in horrible situations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe just the very dedicated, enlightened souls who were willing to bring joy and hope to desperate people in horrible situations.

      Yeah, I need to figure out how to best put that part into text.

      Delete
  3. There's a question of supply and demand. Are there potentially lots of bodies and few souls wanting to fill them (as in Chris' example), or lots of souls and few bodies ("I need ten guys for a day, get on the spiritual truck")?

    I've heard a semi-serious suggestion that, as the human population has expanded, there's been a shortage of human souls from reincarnation and so some people are born with animal souls. (The generous-minded would allow them to become human souls over time, much as one approach to reincarnation lets one work oneself up the chain of biological complexity.)

    ReplyDelete